Monday, August 23, 2010

Traxler’s Blue Frangipani

Bernhard Traxler is becoming an ‘old’ friend of mine... basically its his long  blond hair turning gray... but also because I have known him over the years, and  feel close to his way of reporting nature in his works of art... I was initially attracted to this Austrian born ‘hippie’ of the Hippie Fair in Ipanema because of a fly on one of his canvases... Well, I though it was a fly, a common housefly sitting on what struck to me as a very, very small canvas, maybe about 5 x 5 cm. As I approached to examine the insect, other small objects popped before my eyes on other Lilliputian canvases, such as a recently extinguished match stick, small butterflies and so on... Very realistic, and all very tiny, painted with the help of some magnifying glass which belonged to a grandfather in Austria...! We, at the university, did not accomplish the level of detail Traxler managed, even though operating modern powerful Zeiss lens-mounted stereoscopic binocular dissecting scopes ! I took Traxler down to look at these one day and he exclaimed ‘That’s not fair ! ‘ ...

Traxler is creative and mutating... Fortunately, I got a hold of one or two copies of his ‘nautical chart watercolours of Rio’  phase where  he etched in with watercolours, in stark perspective discrepancy to the original navigation chart, the geologic marvels of Cidade Maravilhosa along the coastline, including Gavea Rock, the Corcovado (where Christ the redeemer statue is mounted) Sugar Loaf and so on... What an insight...
Traxler's view of the universe (from his hammock)

Now, its the Blue Frangipani...Why not? That’s what irritates me! These artists look at the same things we scientists do, but can come up with a totally marvellous and more interesting, entertaining not to mention decorative depiction of natural biological beauty. Even using just one colour! And all this done from a view from his hammock in Maricá, Rio de Janeiro... it’s humiliating! Best thing is - he can actually sell the product of his insight while we have to chase grants....

By the way, for those like Terri, looking to contact Bernhard, try this email: bernhardtraxler@ig.com.br

4 comments:

  1. Nice! Next time I go to Rio I'll check Bernard out. Abraco! m

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Rio in 2004 and came across Bernhard Traxler, I had already bought a few paintings from other artists, I was so impressed with his work that I purchases every small little original watercolors he had, I have kept for my personal collection "a burn out match stick and a tropical bird". At the time we had a Art Gallery in Florida, the pieces went so fast that I tried to reach him, sent emails, no answer, this was a surprise to read this blog about him. His miniatures are great works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I flew for American Airlines for a few years and purchased a few of his miniature watercolors the Rio flea market. I love his attention to detail. I am retired now after 44 yrs of flying. I would like to keep up with Bernard's work. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had layovers in Rio Flying for American. I would visit the flea market there and purchased a few of Bernard's miniature watercolors. I appreciate his attention to detail. I would love to stay in touch and keep currant with his work.

    ReplyDelete